Skip to main content

AB 60 California

Illustration of a car in the road

California Driver’s License Information For Undocumented Residents

Assembly Bill 60, also known as AB 60, the New Driver’s License bill for California residents who do not have proof of legal U.S. immigration status, went into effect on January 1, 2015.

What do I need to do to get this license?


  • 1
    Pass written, vision and driving tests
  • 2
    Provide a valid and current form of identification
  • 3
    Proof of living in California (such as property titles, lease or rental agreements or. utility bills)

What will the driver’s license look like?


  • 1
    Uses the initials “DP” (Driver’s Privilege) instead of “DL” (Driver’s License) in the license.
  • 2
    Adds a notice that states: “This card is not acceptable for official federal purposes. This license is issued only as a license to drive a motor vehicle. It does not establish eligibility for employment, voter registration, or public benefits.”

What undocumented immigrants need to know:

To provide guidance for acceptable identification documents, AB 60 directs the DMV to accept the following forms of documentation:

  • A valid, unexpired consular identification document issued by a consulate from the applicant’s country of citizenship, or a valid, unexpired passport from the applicant’s country of citizenship.
  • An original birth certificate, or other proof of age, as designated by the Department.
  • A home utility bill, lease or rental agreement, or other proof of California residence, as designated by the Department.
  • The following documents, which, if in a language other than English, shall be accompanied by a certified translation or an affidavit of translation into English:
    • A marriage license or divorce certificate.
    • A foreign federal electoral photo card issued on or after January 1, 1991.
    • A foreign driver’s license.
  • A United States Department of Homeland Security Form I-589, Application for Asylum and for Withholding of Removal.
  • An official school or college transcript that includes the applicant’s date of birth, or a foreign school record that is sealed and includes a photograph of the applicant at the age the record was issued.
  • A United States Department of Homeland Security Form I-20 or Form DS-2019.
  • A deed or title to real property.
  • A property tax bill or statement issued within the previous 12 months.
  • An income tax return.

What unlicensed drivers need to do:

Those undocumented immigrants who are unlicensed and lack insurance should be taking steps now to ensure they’re ready to take advantage of this new California law and qualify for their driver’s license.

So, what can an unlicensed driver do to prepare for AB 60? First things first – learn California’s motor vehicle laws. DMV encourages future applicants for a driver’s license to prepare for the written exam by studying the California Driver Handbook, available on the DMV webpage at The website also features sample tests that can be helpful study material for the applicants. The California Driver Handbook is available in 10 languages at all DMV field offices: English, Armenian, Chinese, Farsi, Korean, Punjabi, Russian, Spanish, Tagalog, and Vietnamese.