Skip to main content

The Difference Between SR-22 and FR-44

Some motorists require a certificate of financial responsibility to drive. There are two types of forms available. You might need an SR-22 insurance or an FR-44 form. Auto insurance companies provide these certificates to verify that motorists have liability coverage. Learn more about these forms.

What Is an SR-22?

An SR-22 is not insurance. Instead, it is a document that proves you meet the minimum coverage requirements for the state. If your state requires that you get an SR-22, you’ll need to speak to your insurance company.

Do I Need an SR-22?

States have individual requirements regarding SR-22 documents. However, states that have SR-22 guidelines typically require forms to be filed when drivers have been convicted of DWIs or DUIs, had their licenses suspended, or failed to maintain coverage in the past. Convictions for serious driving violations can also cause drivers to need an SR-22.

While most states have SR-22 requirements, you do not need one if you live in:

  • Delaware
  • Kentucky
  • Minnesota
  • New Mexico
  • New York
  • North Carolina
  • Oklahoma
  • Pennsylvania

The laws are subject to change, though. While these states do not require an SR-22 at the time of this writing, it is wise to check state laws to ensure that you do not need a certificate.

What Is an FR-44?

Virginia and Florida are the only states that require some motorists to file an FR-44. While an SR-22 shows that motorists have at least the minimum insurance coverage, an FR-44 verifies that motorists have more than the minimum coverage. FR-44 certificates are used for the most serious motor vehicle violations. These motorists must have coverage above the state’s minimum limits to restore their drivers’ licenses.

Residents are required to submit an FR-44 if they have been convicted of:

  • Driving under the influence
  • Maiming someone while under the influence
  • Driving with a forfeited license
  • Violating any federal, state, or local law that is similar to the violations as mentioned earlier

Filing an FR-44 is a necessary step in reinstating the driver’s license. Drivers typically need to have an FR-44 for three years. If their insurance lapses during that time, the FR-44 is no longer valid, and the driver cannot operate a motor vehicle.

How Much Is SR-22 and FR-44 Insurance?

States charge a filing fee when submitting an SR-22 or FR-44. The filing fee is generally $25 but could be more or less depending on your state of residence. The filing fee is a one-time charge, meaning you won’t pay again, even if you need the certificate for several years. However, you will have to pay the filing fee a second time if you allow your coverage to lapse.

The filing fee is just one cost associated with a certificate of financial responsibility. If you need one of these forms, you are a high-risk driver. Your insurance costs will likely be higher due to the risk. That means you will probably pay more for basic coverage than another driver would.

How to Get an SR-22 or an FR-44

Your insurance company will file the SR-22 or FR-44 on your behalf. You must begin by getting auto insurance. Once you buy a policy, let the insurance company know that you need a certificate of financial responsibility. The company will then handle the paperwork and ensure the state receives the document.

FR-44 and SR-22 Insurance Quotes

You are likely concerned about saving money when getting an FR-44 or SR-22. Freeway Insurance has helped drivers just like you save money on auto insurance. We compare quotes from multiple insurance companies and find the most affordable option while providing the coverage you need. You might be a high-risk driver, but that does not mean you have to go broke to buy auto insurance and file a certificate of financial reasonability.

Speak to a licensed insurance agent by calling (800) 777-5620. The agent will go over the filing requirements for your specific state and help you find the coverage you need.

Ready to Get a Quick Quote?