Skip to main content

Someone Hit My Parked Car. What Can I Do?

A hand pointing at a dent in a parked car.

As you get ready to get into your car to continue your busy day, you notice a big dent that wasn’t there before. You realize my parked car was hit! Someone crashed into your vehicle while you were away and clearly they are no longer there. Now you’re wondering what to do when someone hits your parked car. A parked car accident can be a frustrating and inconvenient problem in your already busy life. However, know that parked car accidents happen all the time and you have options on how to deal with your situation. Continue reading for tips on how to deal with a parked car accident.

Someone Hit My Parked Car and Left a Note

If someone hit your parked car and left a note with their contact information or their insurance company’s information, keep the note in a safe place for later. Before contacting the driver in question or their insurance company, you should determine the approximate cost for repairs by visiting a few auto repair shops and getting an estimate. After determining the estimated cost of repairs you have a few options:

  • Contact the driver and ask him or her if they would be willing to pay for the damages out-of-pocket
  • Get the driver’s insurance information and try filing a claim with their insurance company
  • If the driver’s insurance company doesn’t respond or won’t confirm liability, you can pay for the repairs out-of-pocket or file a claim with your own insurance company

Keep in mind that if you file a claim through your insurance you will need to pay your collision deductible before your insurance kicks in. In addition, the cost of your premium will likely increase 20%–25% once you file a claim. So, if the cost of the repairs is around the same amount as your deductible, you may want to consider paying for the repairs out-of-pocket to prevent your premium from going up.

Hit-and-Run Accident Parked Car

If the driver left without leaving a note, then it’s a hit-and-run parked car situation. This should be dealt with similarly to how you would deal with a hit-and-run accident in moving traffic. In this case, ask people in the vicinity if they witnessed the incident. If you get in contact with witnesses, make sure you get their information and their account of what happened. Keep this for your reference and if they are willing to wait for the police to arrive, ask them to stay and speak to the on-scene officer. If there are any businesses nearby, ask staffers if they saw anything and/or see if you can get a copy of video footage, if it was caught on camera. If you are unable to obtain information about the driver who hit your car, then you can decide whether you want to file a claim with your own insurance and pay your collision deductible or pay for the repairs out-of-pocket after you have taken your car to a repair shop to get an estimate.

Contact the Police

Whether there was a note left or not, you need to call the police and get a report of the incident. The officer will take your account of the incident and will file an accident report. You’ll need this should you decide to file a claim with your insurance company, so when the officer finishes his/her report, make sure you get a copy and keep it for your records.

How It Relates to Your Insurance

Lastly, you’re probably wondering how this will get handled in relation to your insurance. When you bought insurance, you might’ve asked your agent questions like What if I get in an accident on the freeway, not What if someone hit my parked car. So, how do you know if you’re covered? While there’s no such thing as parked car insurance, there is collision coverage and it could be your best bet in a situation like this. Collision coverage is not required for standard insurance policies, but it is an option that can come in handy during situations like this, should you choose to purchase it. Note that collision coverage has to be purchased before the accident and it must be purchased with comprehensive coverage as well. Normally, collision coverage pays for some, most, or all of the damages done to your vehicle, while comprehensive coverage applies to other incidents such as severe weather and car theft.

As mentioned, parked car accidents happen all the time. For all future accidents, make sure you get proper coverage at a low-cost. Freeway Insurance can get you an affordable rate, as we’ve been doing for customers like you for over 30 years. Request a free auto insurance quote online or over the phone at (800) 777-5620.

Ready to Get a Quick Quote?