Start your quote!
Start your quote!
From the iconic Hollywood sign to Santa Monica Pier, there is a lot that Los Angeles is known for, but for all its noteworthy features the least popular is the traffic. In fact, Los Angeles consistently makes the list of cities with the most traffic congestion in the world. Out of the 10 million residents there are almost 8 million vehicle registrations in Los Angeles County. That percentage is nearly doubled in comparison to New York City and is significantly higher than most major cities.
With 4,060 square miles in Los Angeles County and 527 freeway miles, traffic is likely and so are fender benders! Before you hit the L.A. streets, be sure to have the right California auto insurance.
California Car Insurance Minimum Requirements
California is one of the strictest states in the country when it comes to auto insurance laws. States are divided into categories of “fault states” and “no-fault states.” California is considered a “fault state,” which means drivers are held responsible for accidents they cause. California drivers are required to carry basic liability insurance with the minimum limits of 15/30/5, which means:
- $15,000 of bodily injury per person
- $30,000 of bodily injury liability per accident
- $5,000 of property damage liability per accident
Selecting the state minimums will likely be the most cost-effective way to keep your rates down; however the cheapest option isn’t always the best when it comes to protecting your assets. If you wind up in an accident that exceeds your coverage limits you could be held responsible to pay a lot more money out-of-pocket.
Average Cost of Auto Insurance
Los Angeles is one of the more expensive cities in the country when it comes to car insurance. The high rates are due to traffic congestion, a high volume of auto accidents and high crime rates in the city. According to CarInsurance.com, the average annual car insurance rate in California is $1,518; however in Los Angeles insurance premiums can be as high as $3,450 annually.
There are a number of factors that affect your insurance premium such as your age, your vehicle, your driving record, how far you drive and where you live. Los Angeles car insurance premiums can vary significantly based on your zip code because different areas are rated differently. For example, a highly-populated part of the county is likely to have steeper rates because the massive number of people in the area means an accident is more likely to occur.
Another factor that can drive up insurance costs is if you are required to file an SR-22 form. An SR-22 is required if you have been convicted of a serious offense such as reckless driving or a DUI. An SR-22 can raise your rates and even make it difficult to get auto insurance. It is important to reach out to a variety of insurance companies to find one that works for your specific situation.
Am I Eligible for Discounts on My Los Angeles Car Insurance?
California drivers can save money on their auto insurance if they take advantage of every possible discount that is available to them. Each company offers different discounts, but some examples of discounts include:
- Good driver discount
- Multi-car discount
- Anti-theft discount
- Student discount
- Military discount
- Multi-policy discount
- Mature, retired or senior discount
- And more…
How to Find the Cheapest Car Insurance in Los Angeles
Los Angeles’ traffic and congestion means a lot more accidents, which also means higher insurance rates. While L.A. car insurance will likely be more expensive than insurance in other parts of the state, a little research can go a long way in getting an auto insurance policy that works with your budget. Here are some suggestions to help you get the best rates:
- Price shop all Los Angeles auto insurance When you compare car insurance quotes from different providers, consider local companies in addition to big-name providers.
- Try to maintain a good driving record. While accidents can be impossible to avoid, being alert on the road and following local laws can help you to maintain a better driving record, which means better insurance rates.
- Take advantage of every discount possible. Did you recently put an alarm on your car or take a defensive driving course? You may be eligible for a discount! Be sure to discuss all possible discounts with your insurance agent to ensure you aren’t missing any opportunities to save.
- Chose a vehicle that is affordable to insure. A luxury sports car can be significantly more expensive to insure than your standard sedan. If cost is a concern get some insurance quotes before you purchase a new vehicle.
Los Angeles Car Insurance Quotes
Looking for cheap Los Angeles car insurance? You’ve come to the right place. Freeway Insurance compares rates to get you the cheapest LA auto insurance available. Get a free car insurance quote today and find out how much you can save.