If you own a smartphone and you’re looking for a way to earn extra cash, check out Foap, a social photo app that turns your photos into dollars. And if you haven’t got a recent quote on your car insurance, it could also be a great way to help with that high rate you’re paying.
Foap is targeting companies that need to find natural-looking, caught-in the-moment photos with a “local feeling” for commercial or editorial purposes. These could be publishers needing images to use in a story or advertising branding campaigns looking for pictures.
Foap lets users upload their photos to their online marketplace where they can be purchased for $10 apiece, with profits split 50/50 between the photographer and Foap.
The free app also provides access to Foap Missions, where brands offer rewards for the best images. A brand requests specific photos; the reward varies from hundreds up to thousands of dollars, and this is the amount that the brand will pay for the best image.
For each photo, the upload process requires you to:
- Provide a description
- Tag its location or event
- Verify that any people in the photo have given their permission to sell the photo
The photo is then presented to other Foap users to rate its quality on a scale of 1-5. Only images that are rated an average of 2 or more stars after 5 reviews are accepted into the Foap Image Marketplace.
Once a photo is sold, photographers are notified, and the money is immediately available to them via PayPal, plus each photo can be sold an unlimited number of times.
Courtesy of Foap, here are some tips for taking better photos with your phone:
- Keep the camera 100% still in your hand. A shaking hand will cause a blurry picture.
- Utilize the natural light. Mobile cameras often work worse than real cameras in dark environments, so it’s especially important to utilize the light for indoor photos.
- When taking your photo, think in “levels” to get more depth—foreground, object and background.
- Be social! By making the “model” feel relaxed and act natural, you will get the best photo with that natural style companies are looking for.
- Snap the photo spontaneously, when the “model” is not prepared. Again, the photo will have a more natural feeling.
While you’re driving around in traffic, trying to find that great shot, make sure you’ve got your car insurance up-to-date.
Do you think this is a good way to make extra cash? Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments section below!