What Should You Know About the Different Devices?
There are different types of anti-theft devices that work differently, and your carrier may or may not offer a discount for just any security device. Below, we have information on the different common anti-theft devices that most insurance carriers consider sufficient for you to get the discount.
- Steering wheel locks do just that: they lock the steering wheel in place. That makes it very difficult for thieves to drive away with your car, and these locks are typically very affordable.
- Vehicle recovery systems are usually a sort of lower-tech kind of GPS. These systems use special radio frequencies that can help law enforcement locate your vehicle after it has been stolen.
- Car wheel clamps are the same kind of clamps sometimes used by law enforcement to lock tires down. If your tires cannot move, your vehicle cannot easily be stolen.
- Audible alarms, as the name implies, make plenty of noise when someone tries to steal your car. This serves as a theft deterrent and can help you get a discount.
- Brake locks are simple devices that attach to your brakes or sometimes to your wheel to keep the brake immobilized. This simple fix makes it harder to steal your car.
- Remote locks have become very sophisticated, with some interacting with dedicated smartphone apps. The right remote locks make it virtually impossible to steal your car.
- Smart keys are “smart” because they use randomized pulses sent to your car’s antenna to lock and unlock the vehicle. And because the pulses are random, they are difficult to duplicate, making your car harder to steal.
- GPS trackers allow you to track your car’s location via smartphone. Some of them may allow you to immobilize the vehicle if it is stolen.
- Hidden kill switches basically keep a car thief from stealing your car by cutting off the electricity. These switches may be difficult to install but are a great way to keep your vehicle from getting stolen.
Finally, certain subscription services like OnStar can help you keep the engine from starting after you report the car for theft. The subscription may come with a monthly cost, but it will likely qualify you for an anti-theft discount.
Start Saving Money on Car Insurance Online Today
An anti-theft discount is a great way to save money on your car insurance. And you can save even more by switching to an insurance company that offers you a more competitive rate!
Here at Freeway Insurance, we balance great rates with amazing discounts. Ready to start saving money? We can quickly and easily provide you with an online car insurance quote. Or feel free to give us a call at 800-777-5620. Finally, you can also visit us at an office near you.