Georgia Health Insurance

Start your quote!

The state of Georgia does not have a state run health insurance marketplace, so Georgia residents that are looking to purchase health insurance must do so from the federal exchange on healthcare.gov. Georgia residents can still access a wide variety of health insurance plans that meet their financial needs and fit their personal situation.

Who Can Use Covered Georgia To Buy Insurance?

Although Georgia does not have a state-run health insurance marketplace, any legal resident of the state of Georgia, or individuals who are “lawfully present,” can purchase health insurance through the federal exchange—healthcare.gov. Lawfully present individuals may have to present proof of status.

Who is considered “lawfully present”?

In order for a Georgia resident to purchase health insurance through the federal exchange, they must either be a US citizen or lawfully present. Lawfully present individuals may fall under the following categories:

  • US citizen
  • Lawful permanent resident (Green Card Holder)
  • Refugee
  • Temporary Protected Status
  • Granted Withholding of Deportation
  • Non-immigrant on Worker Visa (H1, H-2A, H-2B)
  • Non-immigrant on Student Visa
  • Member of a federally recognized Indian tribe

When Can You Buy Coverage Through Covered Georgia?

If you are looking to purchase a new health insurance plan, you can enroll in a new plan or change your existing one during the open enrollment period. The open enrollment period begins on November 1, 2015, and lasts until January 31, 2016. If you already have a plan and want to change it, you need to act by December 15 at the latest.

There is a special enrollment option for “qualifying events” which may occur any time during the year. These qualifying events include experiences such as a child’s birth or a loss of employer sponsored health coverage. To enroll in a new health insurance plan after a qualifying event, you must first provide documentation that the event occurred, such as a birth certificate after a child has been born. Several qualifying events are listed below:

  • Birth of a child
  • A change in residence or work situation
  • A marriage
  • A lost in coverage due to divorce
  • Loss of employer sponsored health coverage
  • Loss of coverage as a dependent due to age

Type of Health Insurance Offered Through Covered Georgia?

Georgia residents and lawfully present individuals have access to a variety of health insurance plans through healthcare.gov. Buyers can choose from different health insurance plans and make a selection based on financial needs, personal choices, and family situations. There are five different categories for the health insurance plans offered, and the categories can be found listed below:

Bronze Plan: This plan requires insurers to pay an average of 60 percent of health expenses while you pay the remaining 40 percent.

Silver Plan: This plan requires insurers to pay an average of 70 percent of health expenses while you pay the remaining 30 percent.

Gold Plan: This plan requires insurers to pay an average of 80 percent of health expenses while you pay the remaining 20 percent.

Platinum Plan: This plan requires insurers to pay an average of 90 percent of health expenses, while you pay the remaining 10 percent.

There are also catastrophic plans. Under the ACA, these plans are available to those under the age of 30 or to those who receive a “hardship exemption.” A catastrophic plan generally requires you to pay all of your medical costs up to a certain amount, usually several thousand dollars; they don’t pay any out-of-pocket costs like copays and coinsurance. Because of their low premiums and high deductibles, catastrophic plans – as the name suggests – are designed primarily to cover “catastrophes,” or worst case scenarios such as a major illness or accident.

If you are interested in getting health insurance, call Freeway at 877 892 6506 to get a free health insurance quote today, and see if you qualify for free or low cost health insurance!